Benefit Programs


Programs are available to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, political beliefs, or disability. To be eligible for assistance, you must meet certain general requirements.

For most programs:
• You must apply at the Charles City County Social Services Department in person or you may obtain an application at the Virginia Department of Social Services 

• You may also apply online at
• You must be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant
• You must live in Charles City County
• You must meet the specific requirements of each program for which you are applying

How to Apply
If you are a resident of Charles City County, you may apply for assistance by completing an application here at the agency, online or by mailing it to:

Charles City Department of Social Services
10900 Courthouse Road
P.O. Box 98
Charles City, VA 23030

You may also apply for medical benefits or find more information at:

Facebook   https://
twitter @healthcaregov

You can pick up an application any time during our office hours or you can ask us to mail an application to you. You may also need to be interviewed by an eligibility worker depending on the type of assistance you are requesting. Residents of other locations must apply at the agency serving the city or county in which they live.

All information you provide is confidential. Information will only be given to persons directly connected with administering or enforcing provisions of the programs for which you applied, other federal assistance programs, or programs that assist low-income individuals. Information may also be disclosed to:
• Employees of the Comptroller General’s Office of the United States
• Law enforcement officials for the purpose of investigating program violations
• Law enforcement officials if you are a fugitive  felon (for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families [TANF] and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program [SNAP] APPLICANTS ONLY)
• Persons connected with verifying status of immigrants
• The Child Support Enforcement Program to help locate absent parents

Appeal Rights
If you disagree with any decision or action, you have the right to appeal. Information on how to appeal is available from the Department of Social Services.